There's no better place to live or raise a family.
Nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and bordered by the historic James River, Lynchburg and its surrounding counties boast a thriving business climate, top ranking public school systems, a wealth of recreational opportunities, dozens of arts and entertainment opportunities and affordable cost of living. With its rich history, natural beauty and southern hospitality, the central Virginia region is an ideal place for you and your family to live.
Central Virginia offers a seemingly endless array of outdoor activities - from extensive networks of hiking, biking and skiing trails to golf, boating, kayaking, fishing, swimming, cycling, hang gliding, horseback riding, rock climbing and more, plus miles of scenic drives with breathtaking views. National Geographic Adventures magazine listed Lynchburg among its 50 Top Adventure Towns in the U.S. and Golf Digest has ranked Lynchburg among its top metro areas.
The Lynchburg area has received top rankings for quality of life.
- Forbes Magazine named Lynchburg among its Best Places for Business and Best Place for Business and Careers.
- Inc.com ranked Lynchburg among its Boomtown Best Cities for Doing Business.
- National Geographic named Lynchburg one of the Top Small Towns to Live and Play.
Award-winning care and satisfaction. They're what make Centra the provider of choice.
Centra is a not-for-profit regional health care system based in Lynchburg servicing central Virginia with three hospitals and more than 5,200 health care professionals.
As the largest health system in the region, Centra provides a full spectrum of medical services, including cardiovascular, cancer, surgical, emergency, neurology, orthopaedics, family practice, women and children's rehabilitation and senior services. Whether you are referring patients for specialized care or consulting with patients on their treatment options, Centra allows you to offer services supported by the most advanced medical technologies.
Centra's quality of care ranks in or near the top 10% of hospitals nationwide, according to results published by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Hospital Compare initiative. Centra has also ranked as one of the top heart hospitals and holds one of the highest ratings in the country for cardiac surgery by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons. Our Physicians, nurses and staff take great pride in the awards we have received for outstanding quality of care and health system innovations.
- Forbes Safest Hospitals in America: Forbes magazine named Centra as one of the safest hospital in country, ranking in the top 5% of hospitals nationwide for low complication and mortality rates.
- Premier CareScience Award: Fewer than 50 health care organizations nationwide receive this award for superior quality, efficiency and process of care. Centra was the only health system in Virginia to receive this recognition.
- Magnet Nursing Award: Centra is one of 289 U.S. hospitals that have been awarded this highest recognition for excellence in nursing, an award Centra has held since 2005.
- 100 Most Wired Hospitals: Recognized as one of the 100 Most Wired Hospitals in the country for delivering excellent patient care Hospitals & Health Networks magazine.
If you and your family are looking for the right mix of professional growth and superior quality of life, Centra tops the list!