UNC Health Care
Vision and Values
It is our vision to be the nation's leading public academic health care system.
Our mission is to improve the health and wellbeing of North Carolinians and others whom we serve. We accomplish this by providing leadership and excellence in the interrelated areas of patient care, education, and research.
We Care About
Our Patients and their Families
Delivering quality health care and outstanding service is fundamental to everything we do.
Attracting and retaining the best team members is of paramount importance to our health care system. We will do this by providing an environment that:
- Pursues the highest level of safety and quality
- Focuses on treating patients and colleagues with courtesy, honesty, respect and dignity
- Recognizes people for their achievements and capabilities
- Is professionally satisfying
- Encourages the open exchange of views
- Does not tolerate offensive and disruptive behavior
Finding ways to improve the health of all North Carolinians through our affiliated hospitals and hospital systems, and our physicians network.
How We Work
Accountability to Our Patients
- We will have a culture dedicated to service and to measurable accountability.
- Patients will experience a seamless and sophisticated system of care that is efficient, safe and easy to navigate.
- Outstanding research programs will enable high quality patient care with the most recent medical advances.
Service to the State
- We will be innovators in research, development and implementation of new means for improving the health of North Carolinians and sharing that knowledge with a national audience.
- We will nurture collaborative partnerships with AHEC, the health sciences schools, the state of North Carolina, employers, insurers, key constituencies and among our affiliated hospitals and health care systems.
- We will have clarity in our roles as the state's safety net institution and as a leader among such institutions across the region and the United States.
Maintaining Financial Viability
- Financial viability will be a system-wide objective with specific expectations and accountabilities established for each component of the health care system.
- This financial viability and margin will come from continual improvements in our operations and from an explicit, unapologetic focus on productivity enhancement.