Hendrick was the first hospital to permanently serve the Texas Midwest when its doors opened in 1924. During the Great Depression, it was the first hospital people of the Big Country area rallied behind to keep the doors open when money was scarce. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Hendrick, for whom the institution was named, made the first major financial gift to the hospital. Through the years it has been the first in the area to offer specialized services, creating departments to fill needs such as physical medicine, nuclear medicine, spiritual care and much more.
Hendrick has been the first to offer aggressive, innovative treatments and preventive healthcare measures ranging from services such as cancer screenings and pre-natal education courses to electro-physiology procedures and pediatric intensive care. Providing the strength of a complete system of health services available in their own backyards, most of the citizens of Abilene and the 22 counties that surround it look to Hendrick as their first choice for healthcare. In fact, research shows 64 percent of area residents prefer Hendrick for their healthcare needs.
Hendrick is an institution where people can feel a strong sense of belonging – an advanced medical provider the people of the Texas Midwest can call their own. Hendrick Medical Center is one of seven healthcare institutions affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. As part of Hendrick Medical Center, the hospital is licensed for 522 beds. About 2,600 staff members create the Hendrick Medical Center team of employees. And people of all ages and races, men and women receive precision care at Hendrick every day, regardless of the way they are able to pay.