Pleasant Valley Hospital
Since 1959, Pleasant Valley Hospital has been committed to providing quality health care to the communities it serves. That commitment was evidenced in 2013 when PVH entered into a partnership with Cabell Huntington Hospital. The partnership – which includes the academic specialists of Marshall Health, the cancer experts at the Edwards Comprehensive Cancer Center and the full range of technology and resources at Cabell Huntington Hospital – increases both the depth and the breadth of the services offered at Pleasant Valley Hospital. With a bright future ahead, Pleasant Valley Hospital still remains true to its past.
In the 1950s, the Point Pleasant community came together with a shared goal: to build a truly community-oriented hospital. With $5,000 raised by local residents, community leaders purchased 5.4 acres of land and began to envision a medical facility tailored to the region’s unique health care needs. In January 1955, plans were drawn for a 40-bed, fully equipped hospital, at an estimated cost of $550,000.
At a dedication ceremony on September 24, 1959, the community celebrated the opening of Pleasant Valley Hospital. However, dreams for the future did not end there. At that time, Pleasant Valley Hospital was composed of two levels, with one-story wings extending from each side. Provisions for expansion were included in the final layout plans.
In 1969, the addition of a new wing not only doubled bed capacity but also provided for a new obstetrics department and nursery, a radiology department, a physical therapy department, new operating rooms, a kitchen and cafeteria, a new conference room, a chapel and a new entrance and lobby. In 1972, a five-bed, semicircular, glass-enclosed Intensive Care-Coronary Care Unit was completed. In 1976, the south tower opened, adding eight physician office suites and 76 beds.
The Pleasant Valley Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, a 100-bed skilled nursing facility, opened in 1978 to serve the elderly and convalescent. Today, the $2 million facility offers physical, speech and occupational therapy. In 1984, Pleasant Valley Hospital dedicated a $1.9 million medical office building with 24 new physician offices. That same year, the main hospital lobby was renovated and a gift shop, currently operated by the PVH Auxiliary, was added for the convenience of patients and families.
In 1985, Pleasant Valley Home Medical Equipment, located at 1011 Viand Street, opened its doors to meet the community’s need for durable medical equipment. PVH also built a wellness center, with a focus on preventative medicine and healthy living, to serve both employees and the community. In 1994, the center was renovated and renamed the Wellness and Rehab Center. Today, the Wellness and Rehab Center features equipment for total body workouts, a free-weight room, a sauna, group exercise classes and computerized exercise programs, as well as physical therapy and cardiac rehabilitation services.
In 1995, PVH expanded its facility with Project 21, adding 14,200 square feet of building space and 12,000 square feet of renovated areas. The $4 million expansion included updates to the surgical suite, Pediatrics Unit, Intensive Care-Coronary Care Unit and Labor, Delivery, Recovery & Postpartum (LDRP) Unit.
Pleasant Valley Hospital has an illustrious history of “firsts.” PVH was the first health care facility in the Tri-County area to offer magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and lithotripsy for the nonsurgical removal of kidney stones, as well as the first to offer single-room, family-centered maternity care. PVH was also the first in the region to offer the ultrasonic removal of cataracts and the first to perform laparoscopic cholecystectomy, a gallbladder removal surgery that minimizes pain and scarring and allows for a quicker recovery.
The caring, skilled medical staff at Pleasant Valley Hospital, in partnership with the highly trained specialists at Cabell Huntington Hospital, offer a wide range of services, including allergy and asthma care, cardiology, emergency medicine and critical care, family medicine, gastroenterology, geriatric care, home health and hospice care, internal medicine, nephrology, neurology, obstetrics and gynecology, oncology and hematology, ophthalmology, orthopaedics, pathology and laboratory services, pediatrics, podiatry, pulmonology, radiology, rehabilitation services, surgery and urology.
With patients as the top priority, the Pleasant Valley Hospital Board of Trustees, leadership team and medical staff continue to expand programs and services to meet the comprehensive health care needs of the region.
Since its earliest days, Pleasant Valley Hospital has been a true “Family of Professionals.” We are a family of doctors, nurses, technologists, trustees, receptionists, housekeeping attendants, patient care specialists, volunteers and countless others who work tirelessly to meet the needs of our patients and their families, both now and in the future.West Virginia