Essentia Health is an integrated health system serving patients in Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin and Idaho. In the summer of 2010, Essentia Health brought together the operations of SMDC Health System, Brainerd Lakes Health, Innovis Health, Essentia Community Hospitals and Clinics, and the Essentia Institute of Rural Health. Essentia Health was originally formed in January 2004 through a partnership of the Benedictine Health System and SMDC Health System. In January 2008, Innovis Health joined Essentia Health and all of the hospitals and clinics owned by the Benedictine Health System were transferred to Essentia Community Hospitals and Clinics.
Today, Essentia Health continues to seek opportunities to grow its network of physicians, healthcare providers, hospitals and clinics. By combining resources, we bring economies of scale and depth of experience to healthcare delivery in the rural communities we serve.
Coming together gives us greater resources to achieve our mission and vision while strengthening our core values. Our mission, vision, values and belief statements are the foundation of our promise to the patients, families and communities we serve—to be Here with you.Mission
We are called to make a healthy difference in people’s lives.
By 2018, Essentia Health will be a national leader in providing high quality, cost effective, integrated health care services.
- Our highest priority is the people we serve.
- We believe that the highest quality health care requires a regard for both the soul and science of healing and a focus on continuous improvement.
- We believe in the synergy of sponsorship among faith-based and secular organizations.
- We believe in the value of integrated health care services.
- We believe in having a meaningful presence in the communities we serve.
Within Essentia Health there are many Catholic facilities. Essentia Health’s mission—as well as its people, places and care—is enhanced by its Catholic mission.