Great River Health
Great River Health is a regional health system offering acute, skilled and intermediate care to residents of southeast Iowa, west-central Illinois and northeast Missouri. The hospitals offer comprehensive medical and surgical services on an inpatient and outpatient basis.
Great River Medical Center and Fort Madison Community Hospital are both part of Great River Health, a 378-bed regional, integrated health-care system that includes: retail pharmacies; retail medical equipment and supplies services; outpatient renal dialysis centers; and a network of speciality and primary-care clinics located throughout the region.
Great River Medical Center annually admits more than 6,000 patients and logs more than 180,000 outpatient procedures. More than 100 physicians and 2000 employees share the health systems commitment to excellence in patient care and customer service throughout our region.
If Midwestern Values and Quality of Life are of interest to you and traffic isn’t--this is the place! Explore one of the great small cities of the Midwest. This is the regions micropolitan hub with 115,000 residents in the vicinity and a local population of 30,000. This is a high quality of life community, which offers a smaller town lifestyle and a low cost of living without giving up all of the amenities of the big city. The Burlington area offers beautiful vistas of the majestic Mississippi River and rolling hills. It also is the home to the world famous "Snake Alley"--the world's crookedest street! Residents enjoy professional theater, symphony, world class golf and an exciting casino. Southeast Iowa is home to two of the top golf courses in the Midwest. If you like the outdoors, this area offers some of the top hunting and fishing in the country. You’ll also find miles of hiking trails and plenty of wildlife in the hundreds of acres of state and local parks and preserves here in Aldo Leopold’s home town. A number of local specialty restaurants offer a world of international cuisine and the greatest variety of foods imaginable.
Excellent public and private schools and a well known community college are found in town with dozens of small colleges and a handful of four year universities a short drive away, including the prestigious University of Iowa which is just 70 miles up the road. If you enjoy live music and entertainment, Burlington is a regional hub for nationally renowned acts and performers who show their talents at the local 2,000 seat venue. Sports fans will not be disappointed with what Burlington offers. We have professional baseball, the top Junior College Basketball program in the country and the area’s top rated recreation complex for softball, soccer, volleyball and football. Burlington is also home to Pzazz--the premier family entertainment complex in the Midwest. Housing everything from indoor/outdoor waterparks to bowling to a casino and hotels, Pzazz truly offers something for every member of the family. All this is within an easy drive of both Chicago and St. Louis. This is a great place to live!
Living and Practicing in Iowa
- Iowa is the second happiest state in the nation according to MainStreet.com's new Happiness Index. The index is based on household income, debt, employment and foreclosures.
- Iowa is ranked as the NUMBER ONE state for physicians by WalletHub!
- Iowa ranks No. 2 of states with the most golf courses per capita. Iowa has nearly 13 golf courses for every 100,000 people; Arizona has about five golf courses per 100,000 people.
- Iowa was named the 6th-best place to raise a child by the Annie E. Casey Foundation in 2009. California was 22; Florida, 36; Georgia, 42; Nevada, 39; and Arizona, 40
- Iowa has been named one of the eight "smartest states" in the country based on the quality of its public elementary and secondary schools.
- Iowa is the #1 state in the nation in the proportion of students (74%) who have received a score high enough to earn college credit on an Advanced Placement exam?
- Iowa's ACT college entrance examination scores are among the top 2 out of the 25 states where the ACT is the primary college entrance exam taken