Mon Health Medical Center
Our Story: Mon Health Medical Center
Mon Health Medical Center is a 189-bed general, acute care hospital in Morgantown, WV. It is the flagship member of Mon Health, an integrated healthcare delivery system offering a full range of services.
The efforts to create Monongalia County Hospital, later to be named Mon General Hospital and eventually Mon Health Medical Center, were spearheaded in the early 1920s by the volunteer Women’s Hospital Association and officially sanctioned by the county government with the appointment of a voluntary board in 1923. The county hospital was located in a portion of the County Poor House on the street known today as Elmer W. Prince Drive in the Evansdale section of Morgantown. Mon Health Medical Center evolved from the county hospital.
In 1943 Monongalia County appointed an independent board of directors to govern Mon Health Medical Center, making it the non-profit hospital it is today. In 1972, Mon Health Medical Center merged with the old St. Vincent Pallotti Hospital, which had been located downtown.
The present Mon Health Medical Center, located at 1200 J.D. Anderson Drive, was dedicated on Oct. 17, 1977. It underwent a major renovation and expansion project from 2005-2009. This project included the construction of the five-story Hazel Ruby McQuain Tower, renovation of the existing North Tower and conversion to all-private patient rooms.
The hospital features a two corridor system - one private and one public. Visitors and patients use separate corridors to move through the hospital. This affords patients greater privacy and comfort when leaving their rooms for tests, and it helps put visitors at ease. Mon Health Medical Center was one of the first hospitals in the nation to be designed this way.
The hospital offers a full range of centers of excellence and services, including Mon Health Surgical Care, Mon Health Heart & Vascular Center, Center for Cardiac Care, Mon Health Cancer Center, Mon Health Family Birth Center, Women’s Imaging Center, Endoscopy Center, Orthopedic Center and an Emergency Department.
The hospital owns and operates a number of physician practices, providing services that include Primary Care, Obstetrics/Gynecology, General Surgical Services, Gynecologic Surgery, Cardiology, Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery, Oncology, Neurology, Urology, Pulmonology, and Gastroenterology.
Also associated with Mon Health Medical Center are Mon Health Sleep Center, Mon Health Wound & Vein Center, The Mon Health Medical Center Foundation and Mon Health Medical Center Auxiliary.
Mon Health Medical Center is accredited by The Joint Commission. Each year the hospital provides services to approximately 9,805 inpatients, 84,745 outpatients and 31,217 emergency patients.
The hospital is the recipient of many awards and recognitions over the years.
Most notably, the hospital was honored with the 2016 Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award and the 2016 Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience Award. Only 2% of all hospitals in the nation receive both awards. Mon Health Medical Center is the only hospital in West Virginia to receive both awards.
Other awards and honors include:
- Comprehensive Community Cancer Program (CCCP) accreditation from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer.
- Blue Distinction Center for Cardiac Care by Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield West Virginia.
- Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement by Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield West Virginia.
- Chest Pain Center Accreditation with Percutaneous Coronary Intervention from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care.
- “Get With The Guidelines-Resuscitation" Gold Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association.
- Designated as a Lung Cancer Screening Center by the American College of Radiology.
- Named one of “100 Hospitals With Great Women’s Health Programs” by Becker’s Hospital Review.
- Named among “125 Hospitals and Health Systems With Great Orthopedic Programs” by Becker’s Hospital Review.
- “Always Ready for Kids” recognition from the West Virginia Office of Emergency Medical Services.
1200 JD Anderson Dr
Morgantown, WV 26505