We Improve Health Every Day
Sentara is one of the most progressive and integrated healthcare organizations in the country. We are dedicated to providing leading medical experts, advanced technology and continuous innovation to improve health every day.
For more than a decade, Modern Healthcare magazine has ranked Sentara as one of the nation's top integrated healthcare systems. Our not-for-profit system proudly includes advanced imaging centers, nursing and assisted-living centers, outpatient campuses, physical therapy and rehabilitation services, home health and hospice agency, a 3,800-provider medical staff and four medical groups. In addition, we provide medical transport ambulances and Nightingale air ambulance, and we extend health insurance to 445,000 people through Optima Health, our award-winning health plan.
Among our many strengths, we are a national leader in heart and kidney care, stroke care, and infection prevention. We were also the first in the nation to pioneer and develop the eICU, a remote monitoring system for intensive care. Our dedication to improving and increasing medical options for our patients is reinforced by our ongoing participation in national and international research. These vital medical trials help us advance toward our mission of improving health every day.
Awards and Recognitions
- Best Hospitals, U.S. News and Report (15+ years)
- Top 100 Hospitals, Truven (2016)
- 100 Great Hospitals in America 2016, Becker’s Hospital Review (2016)
- Six Sentara hospitals have earned Magnet Recognition Program® designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center, including Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital (since 2006), Sentara Norfolk General Hospital (since 2008), Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center (since 2014), Sentara RMH Medical Center (since 2014), Sentara Leigh Hospital (since 2015) and Sentara Princess Anne Hospital (since 2016).
- 150 CFOs to Know, Becker’s Hospital Review (2016)
- Outstanding Patient Care Award, CipherHealth (2016)
- Tidewater Women Ladies' Choice Awards, Tidewater Women (2016)
- Blue Distinction for Spine Surgery, Blue Cross Blue Shield (2016)
- Blue Distinction for Knee and Hip Replacement, Blue Cross Blue Shield (2016)
- Blue Distinction for Maternity Care, Blue Cross Blue Shield (2016)
- The 25 Best Hospitals to Work for in the U.S., Faculty of Medicine for Doctors and Medical (2016)
- Mission Lifeline® Recognition Award, The American Heart Association (2016)
- Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence, Health Grades (2015)
- Top Hospital, The Leapfrog Group (2015 and 2016)
- "A" Grade for Hospital Safety Scores, The Leapfrog Group (2015 and 2016)
- 2015 VHHA Distinguished Service Award, Virginia Hospital and Healthcare Association (2015)
- 2014 Business of the Year Award, Prince William Chamber of Commerce (2014)
- Five Star Rating for Best Nursing Homes, U.S. News & World Report (2014 and 2013)
- Most Wired Health System Ranking, Hospitals & Health Networks (2012)
- #1 Integrated Healthcare System, Modern Healthcare (2001, 2009, 2010, and 2011)
- HIMSS Davies Award, HIMSS (2010)
- CEO IT Achievement Award, Modern Healthcare (2010)
- John M. Eisenberg Patient Safety and Quality Award for Innovation in Patient Safety and Quality, Joint Commission and the National Quality Forum (2005)
- Quest for Quality, American Hospital Association (2004)