AMITA Health - Our Story
AMITA Health is a faith based health system created by Adventist Midwest Health and Alexian Brothers Health System. AMITA Health is focused on delivering the most efficient, highest-quality, faith-based care possible. We are a new health system that integrates our founding organizations' nine hospitals and an extensive physician provider network of more than 3,000 physicians.
The name AMITA is inspired by words from several languages: friendship in Italian, honesty and truth in Hebrew, and spiritual light and boundlessness in Hindi. These words reflect our core values of friendship, truth, and mutual respect for all, as well as our faith-based call to healing. AMITA Health is about open, inclusive and compassionate care, inspired by a legacy of faith, and delivered with dignity and empathy.
To our communities, AMITA Health promises:
- To deliver the most efficient, highest quality, faith-based care possible;
- To embrace each person and each family as one of our own;
- To respect the faith traditions of all people;
- To communicate clearly with patients at every step of their care journey;
- And we promise that our sacred mission is one of truth and friendship in extending the healing ministry of Christ
We formed our partnership in February 2015 as a Joint Operating Company (JOC). The JOC allows us to work in unison while preserving the Catholic and Adventist identities and mission priorities that define us. It also is a structure that can grow with us as we grow.
While our partnership is new, the dedication and promise our caregivers show every day to our patients, their families and each other will continue to be the foundation of AMITA Health's legacy from Adventist Midwest Health and Alexian Brothers Health System.