For free help with your job search, call (800) 776-8383
Memorial Children's Hospital is the region's only designated children's hospital, we welcome and treat children with a wide variety of medical and surgical diagnoses from more than 20 referral hospitals throughout Southwestern Michigan and Northern Indiana. Our world-class team includes pediatric hospitalists and intensivists, registered nurses, child life specialists, pediatric diabetic educators, pediatric dietitians, social workers, neonatologists, pediatric oncologists, respiratory therapists, clinical nurse specialists, pastoral care, and pediatric specialists in physical therapy, pulmonary medicine and infectious disease.
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) is specially designed to care for critically ill or injured infants, children and adolescents. The PICU is managed 24 hours a day by board-certified physicians fellowship-trained in Pediatric Critical Care Medicine. They provide medical management and consultation on a variety of medical and surgical conditions, such as juvenile diabetes, acute and chronic respiratory failure requiring mechanical ventilation, severe infections, shock/circulatory failure, seizures, and other neurological disorders. They also collaborate with surgeons in the management of trauma and post-operative care.
Memorial’s PICU physicians provide ground medical control of the Pediatric Emergency Transport Team (PETS) and work closely with the Memorial MedFlight team, providing air transportation to pediatric patients requiring the highest level of care in the region. Our PICU team is dedicated to providing high-tech care in a high-touch, family-focused environment.
Memorial's Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU) is a 36-bed unit providing comprehensive level III care for newborns with medical or surgical needs. Over 400 newborns born at Memorial or transported from other regional hospitals by NICU's transport team are admitted to the NICU each year. Memorial's NICU is the regional referral center for North Central Indiana and a portion of Southwestern Michigan.
The NICU staff is comprised of board-certified neonatologists, pediatricians, neonatal nurse practitioners, registered nurses, respiratory therapists, lactation consultants, a social worker and a parent care coordinator. The staff is dedicated to improving the lives of infants and their families.
• Medical, Dental, Vision insurance options
• Life insurance options
• Short and Long-term disability coverage
• Health Care and Dependent Care Spending Accounts
• Continuing Medical Education
• Rewards for Savings Plans 403(b) and 457(b)
• Paid Malpractice with tail coverage
Additional Benefits include:
• Discounts for daycare facilities
• Local discounts
• Memorial Health & Lifestyle Fitness Center
The City of South Bend
South Bend is located in St. Joseph County in North Central Indiana, situated 10 miles south of the Indiana-Michigan state line and 90 miles east of Chicago. The city sits on the St. Joseph River, which flows to Lake Michigan. Neighboring cities include Mishawaka, Granger and Notre Dame.
• Fourth largest city in Indiana
• St. Joseph County: 265,000
• Fourth largest county in Indiana
• Offers the conveniences of a city without the traffic hassles and high taxes of a large metropolis
Area School Awards
• America’s Best High Schools 2010 – U.S. News and World Report
• National Blue Ribbon School 2008 – U.S. Department of Education
• Four-Star School – Indiana Department of Education
• GreatSchools Rating of 10 out of 10
Cost of Living in South Bend
• 31% cheaper than Chicago
• Housing is 64% cheaper than Chicago
• Median home price for single family:
• South Bend $100,600
• Midwest $167,400
Proximity to major cities
• Chicago (90 miles)
• Indianapolis (130 miles)
• Detroit (215 miles)
• Lake Michigan area (26 miles)
Innovation in South Bend
South Bend has a rich history of innovation endeavors, beginning with the Studebaker Corporation and its commitment to quality, reliability and innovation. Today, the city continues this tradition of creative excellence by encouraging inventiveness, connecting innovators with investors and market specialists, promoting an environment for research and supporting businesses’ development
of their technology products.
Innovation Efforts at Memorial, Notre Dame and in South Bend
• Innovation Everywhere! @ Memorial
• Innovation Park
• Midwest Institute for Nanotechnology Discovery
• Pfeil Innovation Center
• Ignition Park
Attractions in South Bend and Surrounding Areas
Downtown South Bend boasts more than 50 restaurants, 70 shops, several museums and numerous outdoor parks and plazas.
• Studebaker National Museum
• College Football Hall of Fame
• Memorial HealthWorks! Kids’ Museum
• Morris Performing Arts Center
• Coveleski Stadium
• South Bend Museum of Art
• South Bend Chocolate Company and Chocolate Cafe
• Several golf courses
• Numerous parks and lakes
• Tabor Hill Winery and Restaurant
The area is home to 11 colleges/universities: University of Notre Dame, Holy Cross College, Saint Mary’s College, Indiana University South Bend, Bethel College, Ivy Tech State College, Brown Mackie College, Indiana Wesleyan University, Southwest Michigan College, Andrews University and Indiana Tech.