Bolivar Medical Center
With a 2010 census population of 12,334, Cleveland, Mississippi, has a fairly large commercial economy with numerous restaurants, stores, and services along U.S. Route 61. Cleveland is one of the two county seats (the other being Rosedale) of Bolivar County, which was named for the South American liberator Simon Bolivar. Named after President Grover Cleveland, the town was formed in 1869 as people moved inland from the Mississippi River. The Louisville, New Orleans and Texas Railroad ran through the town, and a portion of the railroad remains there today. Early records show that the community has been known by many names over the years: Fontaine in 1884; Coleman's Station, named after Moses W. Coleman who built the first home on the area bayou; Sims in 1885 after Rueben T. Sims, who owned part of the land on which the town stood. The village of Cleveland was chartered on March 25, 1886. Two Mississippi Blues Trail markers are located in Cleveland. The first marker recognizes Chrisman Street, which once served as the center of African-American business and social life in Cleveland. The second marker celebrates blues musician W. C. Handy.