Bon Secours Maryview Medical Center 1
Bon Secours Maryview Medical Center was founded in 1945 when the Federal Government recognized a need in Portsmouth for a facility to serve the healthcare needs of shipyard workers. At war's end, Bon Secours Maryview dedicated its mission to caring for polio victims, which were numerous in those days. The Diocese of Richmond called for organizations to manage the new healthcare facility, and the Daughters of Wisdom, an order of Catholic nuns from Canada, responded to the call. They successfully operated Bon Secours Maryview until 1984, when the Diocese transferred the facility's sponsorship to the newly formed Bon Secours Health System, Inc. Based in Maryland, the Bon Secours Health System is owned and operated by the Sisters of Bon Secours. In May 1996, Bon Secours Maryview completed the transfer of sponsorship of Portsmouth General Hospital, and is now the only civilian hospital in operation in the city of Portsmouth.
Bon Secours Maryview Medical Center is a 346-bed acute care hospital which includes a 54-bed Behavioral Medicine Center. More than 400 physicians representing a comprehensive range of specialties provide the latest in diagnostic and treatment modalities. Bon Secours Maryview Medical Center also includes Bon Secours Health Center at Harbour View, a premier ambulatory surgery center in Suffolk.