CHI Oakes Hospital
CHI Oakes Hospital
The CHI Oakes Hospital is a 24-Hour Emergency Level V/Trauma Center. It is a 20-bed critical access hospital providing various inpatient and outpatient services to approximately 14,000 people in southeastern North Dakota. The hospital is part of a larger values-based organization, Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI).
The CHI Oakes Hospital is ranked highly in the entire CHI system in the categories "likely to recommend" and "overall satisfaction."
The medical staff consists of providers that are multi-specialists in family practice, internal medicine, cardiology sports medicine, and geriatrics. There are also a number of specialists on our courtesy staff that provide services such as cataract and orthosurgery. The physicians team up with the highly trained nursing staff to provide excellent patient care. The hospital is a 20-bed facility that offers quality healthcare in a progressive environment.
The CHI Oakes Hospital has a dynamic nursing team with excellent skills. All nurses receive ACLS Certification and cross training to all areas of the hospital.
History of Sisters of St. Francis
The CHI Oakes Hospital operates under the auspices of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI). In 1998 the Sisters of St. Francis, whose Provincial Mother-house is in Hankinson, North Dakota, transferred sponsorship to CHI. The Sisters of St. Francis are a sponsoring order of CHI and continue to support CHI Oakes Hospital by maintaining a mission in Oakes, North Dakota. This Congregation of Sisters originated in Dillingen, Germany in 1241. Today, they are an International Congregation with their Generalate in Dillingen, Germany, and Provinces in Germany, United States, Brazil, and India. In the past, the Sisters had Missions in Albania and Africa; they still maintain a Mission in Spain.
At all times and in all places, the Sisters primary goal and purpose is to love and serve God and His people. In the footsteps of their founder, St. Francis, they strive to be Christ-like according to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. During their long history, they have cared for the elderly, taught in schools, and nursed the sick in private homes, on the battlefields in several wars, in army hospitals, in city hospitals, and finally in their own hospitals.
In 1913, twenty-four of these Sisters began the ministry of domestic work in seminaries in the United States at St. John's Abbey in Collegeville, Minnesota. In 1928, they opened their Provincial Motherhouse and Academy in Hankinson, North Dakota. In this center, they received new members and expanded into the teaching and nursing fields in the United States.