Centra Stroobants Cardiovascular Center
The Centra Stroobants Heart Center is the core of Centra's nationally recognized program of cardiovascular care. The center brings together state-of-the art technology, clinical trials, physician and clinician expertise, and measurable excellence focused on strong clinical outcomes and patient satisfaction.
At the Centra Stroobants Heart Center, patients are placing their care in the hands of an experienced, extensively qualified medical team. Part of the cardiac team is Mended Hearts, a local group of volunteers who are former cardiac patients. This chapter of volunteers is nationally recognized for their service to patients, including providing education to them before and after surgery.
- The Stroobants Heart Center staff includes 22 board-certified physicians with specialties in cardiology, thoracic surgery, and anesthesiology.
- There are 6 locations throughout our region for Centra's cardiopulmonary rehabilitation program.
- The cardiothoracic surgeons have earned the Society of Thoracic Surgeons' highest, three-star rating for quality in cardiac surgery. Only 15% of all heart centers nationwide have received this recognition.
- Centra's physicians perform more than 5,000 cardiac catheterizations, including being one of the few in Virginia to perform carotid stenting.
- Perform 400 open heart surgeries annually.
- The average time it takes to unblock an artery at Centra is 45 minutes faster than then national average of 96 minutes.
- Centra was the only Virginia health system, and one of fewer than 50 nationwide, to receive the Premier CareScience award, which honors the top 1 percent of all hospitals in the country for quality and efficiency in patient outcomes.
- The Cardiovascular Recovery Unit nursing team has received the Beacon Award for quality of care from the American Association of Critical Care Nurses.
- Centra Stroobants Heart Center was recently named an Anthem Cardiac Blue Center of Excellence.