Chair of Physician Assistant Studies
Life on the island
• Galveston Island offers temperate weather year-round, averaging 57°F in the winter months and 81°F in summer months
• Galveston is home to six historic districts containing one of the largest and historically significant collections of 19th-century buildings in the United States, with over 60 structures listed on the National Register of Historic
• Galveston Island has 14 museums and historic homes open to the public for tours, including the Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig and Museum, Lone Star Flight Museum (Home of the Texas Aviation Hall of Fame), Railroad Museum, Texas Seaport Museum, Ashton Villa, Bishop's Palace, and Moody Mansion.
• Galveston Island is a barrier reef island that averages two miles in width, offering 32 miles of Gulf Coast beaches.
• The island is 50 miles south of Houston in Galveston County.