The Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital Academic General Pediatrics Section includes a hospital-based primary care office and medical home for patients from birth to 21 years which serves as the primary pediatric teaching clinic for The Grand Rapids Medical Education Partners/Michigan State University Pediatric and Internal Medicine/Pediatric Residency Programs. The pediatric residency program accepts 14 residents per year and the internal medicine/pediatrics residency program accepts 4 residents per year. The clinic is also a teaching site for medical students from Michigan State University College of Human Medicine. There are over 12,000 patient visits annually and the clinic serves a diverse population. Our physicians are committed to providing evidenced-based, compassionate, comprehensive pediatric medical care and teaching. This position includes participation in the Academic General Pediatrics section call schedule and involves both inpatient and outpatient evaluation and care. Physicians within the Academic General Pediatrics Section hold a variety of additional leadership and clinical roles with Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital including the Healthy Weight Center, Neurofibromatosis Clinic, Adolescent Clinic, Pediatric Residency Program Director and Associate Program Director. Physician candidates can anticipate support for academic and scholarly work as well as evidence-based quality improvement measures.
Academic General Pediatrics Section physicians lead the Inpatient Newborn Team providing Level 1 nursery care to 60-70% of the 8,000 deliveries annually at Spectrum Health’s Butterworth Hospital located adjacent to the children’s hospital. The Newborn Team consists of 2 attending physicians, a full-time Physician Assistant, a full time Nurse Practitioner/Lactation specialist, residents, and medical students. Physician responsibilities to the Newborn Team include both clinical care of patients and education of residents and medical students. Rotation coverage of the newborn nursery service is approximately 1:4
The Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital Academic General Pediatric Clinic is a full service pediatric medical home, providing well child and acute care as well as management of chronic and complex medical conditions. Physician candidates will provide primary care for a panel of patients as well as precepting and providing pediatric primary care education of residents and medical students within the resident continuity clinic.
- Our 236-bed free standing Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital opened in January, 2011. A regional children’s quaternary referral center, the new Children’s Hospital is located on the main campus of Spectrum Health in downtown Grand Rapids. In early 2014 our new progressive care unit will open increasing the number of total beds at the children’s hospital from 210 to 236.
- The Children’s Hospital cares for 7,700 inpatients and 95,000 ambulatory visits annually, and 48,300 children are seen in the Pediatric Emergency Department each year. The Pediatric Emergency Department is a Level I trauma center.
- Only Pediatric Radiology Department in west Michigan with approximately 56,000 visits a year.
- The Children’s Hospital services a 37 county region offering 200 pediatric specialists in 50 pediatric specialty areas.
- Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital is proud to be recognized as one of U.S. News & World Report’s 2014-15 Best Children’s Hospitals in the nation for the second year in a row in five specialties including: Cancer, Nephrology, Urology.
- Competitive compensation, malpractice insurance coverage and retirement benefits
- Health, dental, disability and life insurance coverage
- Paid time off for vacation, illness and CME allowance
- Relocation allowance
Strong communities, natural beauty, lots to do:
- Grand Rapids, Michigan’s second largest city with a metropolitan population of 750,000 is located just 40 minutes from the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan; visit hellowestmichigan.com
- Top-rated public and private schools; seven colleges; variety of recreational activities, cultural opportunities and professional sports
- Vibrant downtown, family-oriented neighborhoods; for more information about Grand Rapids, visit www.experiencegr.com
Board eligible or board certified in Pediatrics.