SIH Dedicated to the Communities We Serve
- The people of Southern Illinois Healthcare, a not-for-profit health care system, are dedicated to promoting the health and well being of all of the people in the communities we serve. Our mission is guided by our values: compassion, collaboration, quality, stewardship, integrity, accountability and respect.
Over 3,000 employees, along with physicians and volunteers, work together to achieve our mission and ensure that the health care needs of those we serve are met. We make this a reality by treating patients in SIH facilities, offering services in rural clinics, collaborating with some of America’s best hospitals and improving our communities through our charitable community benefits programs.
Memorial Hospital of Carbondale
The flagship hospital for SIH and regional referral center for the 16 county region. Memorial paves the way to bring big city medicine home. Physicians in nearly 40 different specialties practice here, successfully tailoring them to the particular needs of a rural setting. The success has earned them HealthGrades Outstanding Patient Experience Award for several consecutive years.
- 150-bed tertiary care hospital
- Southern Illinois’ largest and most spacious birthing center with Level II Plus Special Care Nursery
- Only dedicated pediatric unit in the region
- The core hospital for SIH’s comprehensive, regional heart program, Prairie Heart Institute.
- High level surgical capabilities including daVinci technology
- Affiliated with SIU School of Medicine, Family Practice Residency Program
- Neuroscience program including neurosurgery and the region’s only Primary Stroke Center
- Accredited by the Commission on Cancer
Reputation for high quality care and attention to detail is proof that a rural facility can have huge achievements in quality. The longest-serving SIH hospital, Herrin is well known for both rehabilitation and emergency services, including recognition for outstanding work with heart patients. Major renovation and expansion projects to increase efficiency and add patient-friendly features. Outpatient services on the main floor for increased accessibility and upgraded patient accommodations.
- 114-bed acute inpatient and outpatient hospital
- Newly expanded Emergency Department includes the region’s first accredited Chest Pain Center
- Nationally acclaimed acute rehabilitation offered through an alliance with the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
- Area’s only bariatric surgical program for weight loss
- Home to the half million dollar Healing Garden
- Regions first Joint Camp
St. Joseph Memorial Hospital
A fixture in the Murphysboro community for over half a century. It is a full-service, critical access hospital. The staff takes pride in the hospital’s spiritual roots, which is evident in their daily approach to patient care. Employee and physician satisfaction consistently ranks in the 99th percentile. St. Joseph is an integral part of the SIH system, having evolved over time to become regional provider of specialized outpatient services.
- 25-bed critical access hospital serving the community as an inpatient facility for primary care
- Regional Sleep Disorders Center accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- Area’s only coordinated infusion therapy program
- Comprehensive wound care center with hyperbaric therapy
- Home to an outpatient geriatric counseling program
- Area leader for outpatient endoscopic procedures
- Busy Emergency Department that is part of the Prairie STAT Heart Network
A great way of life and play
The southern Illinois region, which has both a large student and professional population thanks to Southern Illinois University in Carbondale and a growing retirement population.
You will be living a hidden treasure in America’s heartland. Bounded by the Ohio and Mississippi rivers and dotted with accessible lakes nestled in the great hardwoods in the hills of the Shawnee National Forest. Rich with state parks, including famous Giant City State Park and Lodge, Garden of the Gods and Little Grand Canyon. Boating and sailing, fishing, hiking and rock climbing, winding horse trails and miles of cycling paths including Tunnel Hill, the #1 bike ride in Illinois. Tee up at over 25 golf-courses or take a trip on the wine trail, visit dozens of wineries and bed and breakfasts. Music festivals and local fairs are numerous and there are many historical attractions, unique shops and towns and fine restaurants with local and international cuisine.
Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, is a major regional institution with a medical school. Top-ranked sports programs, especially in football and basketball, and offers a full schedule of theater, live music, opera and other events at historic Shryock Auditorium and McLeod Theater.
John A. Logan Community College is just 10 miles from SIU and is one of the countries top-ranked community colleges and offers many cultural activities.
Local shopping includes many quality, national stores and, in southern Illinois, you are only two hours from St. Louis, three hours from Nashville or Memphis and five hours from Chicago.
It is also a great area for your children with good schools, many of them newly built.
Climate is mild, with an extended and vibrant Fall season, mild winters, and long, warm Spring seasons. Average rainfall is 40 inches, snowfall 6 inches, temperature in winter averages 35 degrees and in summer 72 degrees.
All of this quality lifestyle comes at a very pleasant cost. A new home purchase on land with room for horses for less than the price of a home in many cities. The average three-bedroom home costs $150,000.