Our Athens location, which opened in 2008, is a state-of-the-art, 68,000 square foot facility. We have solar panels, a Serenity Garden, a coffee shop and local art displayed in our main lobby. In addition to primary care, we provide the highest quality health care in dermatology, gastroenterology, orthopedics, chiropractic, podiatry, ophthalmology, plastic surgery, OB-Gyn, midwifery, cardiology, general surgery, allergy, sleep medicine, rheumatology, endocrinology, urgent care, and ENT. In total, our physicians see over 102,000 patient visits per year. We have an Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) with 3 operating rooms, one minor procedure room and an excellent team of support staff offering consistent care throughout the visit. We provide the latest technology in digital diagnostic testing including an ultra-high resolution magnetic resonance imagery (MRI); a detailed 64 Slice CT scan which provides superior quality, whole body thin slice imagery and 30% lower radiation; and the new I-U 22 Ultrasound featuring 4D technology allowing excellent view of the fetus or internal organs.
As a rural-cosmopolitan community, Athens County offers the best of both worlds, big-city amenities wrapped in small town hospitality. The rolling hills of southeastern Ohio draw people from all over the world who wish to live and work in this pastoral, yet progressive county. Athens County, once a thriving coal community, now offers diverse employment opportunities. Ohio University, Hocking College, O’Bleness Hospital and Holzer are just a sampling of the larger employers. The county also prides itself on the numerous entrepreneurs including artists, special food producers, researchers, consultants and contractors, who have established thriving small businesses.The slower pace of Athens County, along with its cultural activities and scenic charm, make it a great place to visit, and an even better place to live!
Holzer Health System
Come and practice quality medicine in state of the art facilities while living in an area that is characterized as much by its friendly people and strong values as by its picturesque charm and breathtaking scenery. With all our employees, physicians and high-level service in one system, the Holzer family’s mission to achieve patient-centered excellence is truly a way of life.
- Holzer is a multiple discipline healthcare system of over 160 providers in more than 30 areas of expertise.
- Providing care in 13 locations throughout southeastern Ohio and western West Virginia, Holzer is proud to be an advanced technology health care system, caring for our friends and neighbors.
- Our primary service area covers seven (7) counties: six (6) in Ohio and one (1) in West Virginia, with a population base of over 300,000 and annual ambulatory visits exceeding 500,000.
- We have two hospitals within our health system: one in Gallipolis, Ohio, which is licensed for 266 beds and is designated by the Federal Government as a Rural Referral Center and the other, a 24-bed Critical Access Hospital located in Jackson, Ohio.
- In 2015 we will be offering Holzer’s first Graduate Medical Education Program in the specialty of Family Practice.