Jackson - Madison County General Hospital
The flagship of West Tennessee Healthcare is a 642-bed tertiary care center. (Map of Medical Center) The only tertiary care hospital between Memphis and Nashville, the hospital serves a 17-county area of rural West Tennessee. Approximately 400,000 persons reside within the service area. Within General Hospital, there exists six 'centers of excellence': the West Tennessee Heart and Vascular Center, Kirkland Cancer Center, West Tennessee Women's Center, West Tennessee Neuroscience and Spine Center, and Emergency Services. Each center has an historic reputation of 'high-tech, high-touch' skills.
General Hospital, like all affiliates within West Tennessee Healthcare, is a not-for-profit organization. Totally self-supporting, without need for local tax support, all revenues generated provide for overhead costs including employee expense, debt service, purchase of technology, renovation, expansion, creation of new services, and, most importantly, maintaining the low-cost structure for which General Hospital is well known. Opening August 11, 1950 as a 123-bed community hospital to serve Jackson-Madison County's Hospital needs, the facility has become one of Tennessee's most respected healthcare sites.
Approximately 7,000 employees make up West Tennessee Healthcare, the majority of whom staff Jackson-Madison County General Hospital.
General Hospital offers the only open heart surgery program in rural West Tennessee. Our cardiothoracic surgeons have performed tens of thousands of procedures. Patients in rural West Tennessee do not need to travel to bigger cities for their cardiovascular care.
Robotic microsurgery is also available at General Hospital. Surgical Services is proud to host two daVinci robotic units. Many local surgeons use this high-technology tool to perform hysterectomies and prostatectomies as well as hernia repair, plus colon, urology, and cardiovascular procedures.