Kapi' olani Medical Center for Women & Children
About Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women & Children
Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women & Children is well recognized as Hawai‘i’s leader in the care of women, infants and children. It is Hawai‘i’s only maternity, newborn and pediatric specialty hospital. It is also a tertiary care, medical teaching and research facility. Specialty services for patients throughout Hawai‘i and the Pacific Region include intensive care for infants and children, 24-hour emergency pediatric and adult care, critical care air transport, and high-risk perinatal care.
The medical center extends services through Kapi‘olani Women’s Center and Kapi‘olani Women’s Cancer Center – the state’s only dedicated breast health and gynecological cancer centers. It also offers numerous community programs and services, such as the Kapi‘olani Child Advocacy and Protection Center and the Sex Abuse Treatment Center. Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women & Children is an affiliate of Hawai‘i Pacific Health, one of the state’s largest health care systems. Learn more at Kapiolani.org.
The mission of Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women & Children is to create a healthier Hawai‘i.
A History of Caring
Queen Kapi‘olani founded the Kapi‘olani Maternity Home in 1890. She held bazaars and lu‘au to raise the $8,000 needed. In 1909, Albert and Emma Wilcox donated the funds to open Kauikeolani Children’s Hospital, a hospital for Hawai‘i’s children envisioned by Dr. James R. Judd and Sanford Dole. In 1978, the two hospitals merged to become Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women & Children.
Care Through Giving
As a not-for-profit medical center, Kapi‘olani Medical Center relies on community support to fulfill its mission. Our generous donors, through contributions to the Kapi‘olani Health Foundation, help the medical center provide exceptional medical care for all of the women and children throughout Hawai‘i and the Pacific Rim. For more details and to donate, visit KapiolaniGift.org.
Did You Know?
• Kapi‘olani is a major teaching hospital for the University of Hawai‘i John A. Burns
School of Medicine Pediatric and OB-GYN programs.
• Nearly half of Kapi‘olani’s patients come from uninsured or underinsured families.
• Kapi‘olani Women’s Center was the first in the state to establish an Imaging Center of Excellence, providing a unique model of care with radiologists on site.
• Stephen Lin, MD, Chair of the Board
• Ray Vara, President & Chief Executive Officer of Hawai‘i Pacific Health
• Martha Smith, Executive Vice President of O‘ahu Operations, Hawai‘i Pacific Health
Chief Executive Officer of Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women & Children, Pali Momi Medical Center and Straub Medical Center
• Kenneth Nakamura, MD, Chief Medical Officer of Kapi‘olani Medical Specialists
• Loren Yamamoto, MD, Chief of Staff of Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women & Children
A Not-for-Profit Organization
Kapi‘olani is part of Hawai‘i Pacific Health, a not-for-profit health care system. Kapi‘olani Health Foundation supports the charitable mission of the medical center by raising funds to provide the people of Hawai‘i and the Pacific Region with specialty medical care, life-saving services, community outreach and education, and to further local research.