For free help with your job search, call (800) 776-8383
Lexington Regional Health Center opened as Tri-County Hospital in September of 1976. The hospital began with seven patients, 40 beds, five physicians, one PA, a board-certified surgeon, and visiting specialists. The organization grew through the 1980s and added additional services including radiology, therapy, rehabilitation, and hospice. The year 2011 marks the transition from Tri-County Hospital to Lexington Regional Health Center.
In the first 35 years of operation the facility has expanded to offer a broad range of services and additional staff and specialists. Over the years, the rehabilitation department, outpatient services, and the radiology department, among other departments, have increased their services to better serve the needs of our community. The opening of Urgent Care in the fall of 2011 has further expanded the services offered.
Called Plum Creek by the original settlers, Lexington has a colorful and lively history. Lexington began as an early frontier trading post in 1860 when the Daniel Freeman family settled along the Oregon Trail near the Platte River. During those early years, more than half a million Americans followed the nearby Oregon Trail until the completion of the Union Pacific Railroad. The completion of the railroad led the Freemans to move north to the river and named the town Plum Creek, which was incorporated in 1874. With the railroad established, many new settlers arrived in the area -- including railroad workers and homesteaders who came to farm the free land.
In 1889, the town's name was changed to Lexington in commemoration of the Battle of Lexington during the Revolutionary War. The Union Pacific Railroad, the arrival of the Pennsylvania Colony and construction of a bridge across the Platte River stimulated new settlements and made Lexington the center of activity in the area. Today Lexington continues to be an active, diverse community with a population that has risen to more than 10,000.