McLeod Health Loris
Development in the late 19th century drove the Chadbourn Lumber Company to purchase a tract of land on December 7, 1887, from James Patterson. The five-sided lot was purchased for $1 and became Loris, South Carolina. The regional railroad company built a depot on the land to service trains. By 1890, there were four stores near what is now Main Street, and Loris grew by leaps and bounds during the early 20th century. The Agribusiness industry has always been the driving force for growth in the area. At one time, Loris had the largest tobacco market, along with the best cotton market, in the state of South Carolina. The 1920s and 1930s saw the city grow into an economic center for northern Horry County.