Medina General Hospital 1
Medina Community Hospital opened on October 22, 1944. The hospital was originally the four-bedroom home of the Theodore Weidner family. In 1936, the Weidner's youngest son was stricken with a serious illness requiring round-the-clock medical attention. Mr. Weidner then vowed that if his son recovered, he would sell the house for conversion into a hospital. A group of public-spirited Medina citizens helped that pledge become a reality by starting a fundraising campaign to buy and convert the home.
Medina Community Hospital opened during WWII with a modest 35 beds, dual surgical suites, a single X-ray camera, and an emergency room that was little more than a first aid station. The 20,000 square-foot facility only had an 8-member physician staff and 30 employees.
Today Medina Hospital is a modern, 116-bed hospital, that is still located on the corridor to the Medina community. The hospital features the latest technology and procedures with more than 300 physicians on the Medical Staff covering more than 40 areas of specialization. In August 2009, the hospital affiliated with Cleveland Clinic providing residents with local access to world class care.