MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center
MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center is a not-for-profit Catholic health care provider, with a total of 875 beds, includes:
- MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center – West Lakes
- MercyOne Children’s Hospital & Clinics
- MercyOne Centerville Medicla Center
- MercyOne Newton Medical Center
For more than 100 years, MercyOne has been an outstanding presence in the health care community in Iowa. Founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1893, MercyOne is the longest continually operating hospital in Des Moines.
With approximately 7,000 staff members and a medical staff of about 1,200 physicians and allied health professionals, Mercy is one of the state’s largest employers and one of the Midwest’s largest referral centers.
MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center – Des Moines is a member of Mercy Health Network (MHN) and is a part of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI), a national nonprofit health organization with headquarters in Englewood, Colorado. MHN was founded in 1998 under a joint operating agreement between CHI and Trinity Health, based in Livonia, Michigan. They are two of the country’s largest Catholic, not-for-profit health organizations. MHN consists of 15 owned hospitals, one joint venture surgical hospital, 26 affiliated community hospitals, 207 owned physician clinics and one joint venture primary care physician enterprise.
In addition to operating the state’s largest medical center, MercyOne has several additional ministries including: MercyOne Medical Group Central Iowa, MercyOne Des Moines Home Care, Mercy College of Health Sciences, MercyOne Des Moines Foundation, the MercyOne Health & Fitness Center and MercyOne ACO.
At MercyOne, we train doctors and attract faculty by offering four medical residency programs: Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, General Surgery and Psychiatry.
Recognition and Awards
- Mission: Lifeline® Bronze Receiving Quality Achievement Award
- Mission: Lifeline’s Bronze-Plus Award
- Best Regional Hospital for 2017-18 by U.S. News & World Report
- Recipient of the 2016/2017 Consumer Choice Award by National Research Corporation (NRC) for the 18th consecutive year
- MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and MercyOne West Des Moines Medical Center were the first centers in the nation to earn accreditation in cardiac electrophysiology (EP) by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC)
- MercyOne Ruan Neurology Care was named a Corporate Stars Award Sylvie recipient by the National MS Society – Upper Midwest Chapter
- MercyOne Newton Medical Center was named one of the 2017 Top 100 Rural & Community Hospitals in the U.S.
WHO WE ARE
CHI is part of CommonSpirit Health, a nonprofit, Catholic health system dedicated to advancing health for all people. It was created in February 2019 through the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives and Dignity Health. CommonSpirit Health is committed to creating healthier communities, delivering exceptional patient care, and ensuring every person has access to quality health care. With its national office in Chicago and a team of approximately 150,000 employees and 25,000 physicians and advanced practice clinicians, CommonSpirit Health operates 142 hospitals and more than 700 care sites across 21 states. In FY 2018, Catholic Health Initiatives and Dignity Health had combined revenues of $29.2 billion and provided $4.2 billion in charity care, community benefit, and unreimbursed government programs. Learn more at www.commonspirit.org.
Catholic Health Initiatives and its organizations are Equal Opportunity Employers and support a drug-free work environment.