A strong foundation of compassion and trust supports today's modern environment at Riley Hospital. The quality care you receive at Riley Hospital is the result of many years of dedication by staff members and volunteers. That same caring attitude is continually creating a solid future for the hospital you have chosen for your healthcare needs.
The hospital was founded in 1930 by Dr. Franklin Gail Riley. A forward thinking physician for his time, Dr. Riley developed an interest in pediatrics after serving in World War I. Upon completion of his residency at the University of Pennsylvania, Dr. Riley made plans to move to Birmingham but then learned that Mississippi had no practicing pediatricians. So in 1922 he came to Meridian as the first full-time pediatrician in the state. Dr. Riley brought with him revolutions in the treatment of childhood diseases resulting in the enormous reclaiming of lives of infants and children who otherwise would have had no hope for survival.
Riley Hospital was the first specialty hospital in the Meridian community and has held true to that tradition through years. We have a very proud record of many "firsts" which include:
- Diabetes Education Program.
- Oncology unit.
- Specialized Pediatric unit.
- Resection of an abdominal aortic aneurysm and the use of a plastic artery prosthesis.
- Stereotactic Breast Biopsy.
- Lung resection.
- Exchange transfusion in an infant with erythroblastosis.
- Blood transfusions and intravenous fluids to babies which saved children dying from dehydration.
- Children's Therapy Center.
- Isolette for caring for premature infants.
- Controlled respiratory assistor unit for general anesthesia.
- Cystoscopic room with an X-ray table.
- Unit dosage system for dispensing patient medications.
- Recovery Room.
- Laminar flow unit to provide a completely sterile orthopedic surgery room.
- Videotaped educational program for the patients.
- Total hip replacement.
From the tiny 10-bed hospital in 1930 to the 180-acute care medical complex of today, Riley Hospital has been dedicated to serving this community with the highest quality of care possible. Our staff is well trained and committed to a future of providing our patients with professional medical care that is attuned to meeting each individual's needs and is second to none.
1102 Constitution Avenue
PO Box 1810 (39302-1810)
Meridian, MS 39301-4001