SCI Huntingdon is Pennsylvania’s oldest State Correctional Institution in continuous operation, opening its gates in 1889. It is an all-male prison with an inmate population of approx. 2000. Originally intended to reform and educate young male offenders, inmates were schooled in the trades which included, painting, plumbing, carpentry and cabinet making, electrical, masonry (stone and brick) a foundry, blacksmith shop, lime kiln, brick ovens, saw mill, lumber kiln and planing mill. The farm operation supplied meats, dairy, poultry and vegetables for the kitchen. Electricity generated in the power plant and water supplied by springs on the property made the Institution almost totally independent from the outside world.
Number of Acres Inside the Perimeter: 10
Number of Acres Outside the Perimeter: 300
Number of Operational Structures: 76
Number of Housing Units: 14
Special Features: Special Needs Unit and Modular Housing Units