For free help with your job search, call (800) 776-8383
Five Rivers Medical Center first opened it’s doors on October 23, 1950 as Randolph County Memorial Hospital. The idea for a hospital in the county, was born out of the Pocahontas Kiwanis Club and was fulfilled after the land was donated by Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Baltz Sr.
From 1950 until 1980, the hospital was located at the current location of Randolph County Nursing Home on Hospital Drive. The hospital opened with 32 beds which was outgrown pretty quickly. In 1972, an additional 10 beds were added to aid with the rapid expansion of services provided.
The hospital’s current location was opened in 1980 and was licensed for 50 beds and the name was changed to Randolph County Medical Center. At that time, it included an OB and Nursery as well as three large surgical Suites. In August 1992, the Senior Care Unit went into operation. Television and Radio star Art Linkletter attended the opening ceremonies. Since opening, the Senior Care program has served over 4000 patients and conducted free screenings for over 6000. In December 2000, the four-bed emergency room was updated to a state-of-the-art seven-bed emergency department.
In 2007, the hospital’s name was changed to Five Rivers Medical Center due to new City Ownership. In 2011, the Arkansas Department of Health Trauma Section awarded the Emergency Room with a Level 4 Trauma Designation. Also in 2011, the Emergency Room became affiliated with the UAMS AR Saves Stroke Care program. This program allows the ER to be connected with a Neurologist quickly via Telemedicine should a patient present with Stroke symptoms.
In 2019, Five Rivers Medical Center became St. Bernards Five Rivers after the health system began leasing the facility. St. Bernards Five Rivers currently offers acute inpatient care, intensive care, emergency services, diagnostics and radiology, surgery, and IV therapy, as well as rehabilitation services and senior behavioral health care.