St. Joseph Memorial Hospital
SIH Dedicated to the Communities We Serve
- The people of Southern Illinois Healthcare, a not-for-profit health care system, are dedicated to promoting the health and well being of all of the people in the communities we serve. Our mission is guided by our values: compassion, collaboration, quality, stewardship, integrity, accountability and respect.
Over 3,000 employees, along with physicians and volunteers, work together to achieve our mission and ensure that the health care needs of those we serve are met. We make this a reality by treating patients in SIH facilities, offering services in rural clinics, collaborating with some of America’s best hospitals and improving our communities through our charitable community benefits programs.
Memorial Hospital of Carbondale
The flagship hospital for SIH and regional referral center for the 16 county region. Memorial paves the way to bring big city medicine home. Physicians in nearly 40 different specialties practice here, successfully tailoring them to the particular needs of a rural setting. The success has earned them HealthGrades Outstanding Patient Experience Award for several consecutive years.
- 150-bed tertiary care hospital
- Southern Illinois’ largest and most spacious birthing center with Level II Plus Special Care Nursery
- Only dedicated pediatric unit in the region
- The core hospital for SIH’s comprehensive, regional heart program, Prairie Heart Institute.
- High level surgical capabilities including daVinci technology
- Affiliated with SIU School of Medicine, Family Practice Residency Program
- Neuroscience program including neurosurgery and the region’s only Primary Stroke Center
- Accredited by the Commission on Cancer
Reputation for high quality care and attention to detail is proof that a rural facility can have huge achievements in quality. The longest-serving SIH hospital, Herrin is well known for both rehabilitation and emergency services, including recognition for outstanding work with heart patients. Major renovation and expansion projects to increase efficiency and add patient-friendly features. Outpatient services on the main floor for increased accessibility and upgraded patient accommodations.
- 114-bed acute inpatient and outpatient hospital
- Newly expanded Emergency Department includes the region’s first accredited Chest Pain Center
- Nationally acclaimed acute rehabilitation offered through an alliance with the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
- Area’s only bariatric surgical program for weight loss
- Home to the half million dollar Healing Garden
- Regions first Joint Camp
St. Joseph Memorial Hospital
A fixture in the Murphysboro community for over half a century. It is a full-service, critical access hospital. The staff takes pride in the hospital’s spiritual roots, which is evident in their daily approach to patient care. Employee and physician satisfaction consistently ranks in the 99th percentile. St. Joseph is an integral part of the SIH system, having evolved over time to become regional provider of specialized outpatient services.
- 25-bed critical access hospital serving the community as an inpatient facility for primary care
- Regional Sleep Disorders Center accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- Area’s only coordinated infusion therapy program
- Comprehensive wound care center with hyperbaric therapy
- Home to an outpatient geriatric counseling program
- Area leader for outpatient endoscopic procedures
- Busy Emergency Department that is part of the Prairie STAT Heart Network