Tuscaloosa VA Medical Center
The Tuscaloosa VA Medical Center (TVAMC) is located in West Alabama, where the facility is situated on a beautiful campus of 125 acres with 25 major buildings. TVAMC provides primary care, long-term health care and mental health care services to eligible Veterans in the VA Southeast Network (Veterans Integrated Service Network [VISN 7]). The Tuscaloosa VA Medical Center provides access to secondary and tertiary care services. In addition to our main facility in Tuscaloosa, we offer services in one Outpatient Clinic in Selma, AL.
Our mission is to serve America’s Heroes by improving their health and well-being through Veteran and Family Centered Care. Our key business drivers are quality, financial integrity, patient satisfaction, and employee satisfaction.
Tuscaloosa offers a low cost of living and year round outdoor recreational activities along with cultural activities. Tuscaloosa is the largest metropolitan area in western Alabama and is the home of the University of Alabama. Tuscaloosa is located 45 miles by interstate highway from Birmingham (the largest city in Alabama) and 225 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. The community has a major medical center; public and private schools with outstanding academic and athletic programs; affordable housing; extremely low property taxes; and a wide range of professional, social and leisure activities.
TVAMC provides comprehensive outpatient services in Primary Care clinics. The primary care program offers clinics in women’s health; Preservation Amputation Care and Treatment (PACT); podiatry; neurology; Visual Impairment Service Team (VIST); spinal cord injury and Geriatric Primary Care. The Medical Center has implemented a Care Coordination program which includes: Case Management for the Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Combat Veterans, Care Coordination/Home Telehealth and other programs cited below.
The Medical Center operates a 317 bed teaching hospital including 43 hospital operating beds, and 134 authorized nursing home/Community Living Center (CLC) care beds. The full range of inpatient and outpatient care is provided including Psychiatry (87 beds), a Homeless Domiciliary with 128 beds. TVAMC leases space to Indian Rivers, a non-profit community mental health provider serving Tuscaloosa, Bibb and Pickens counties in West Alabama.
Through an Enhanced Lease Agreement, Hospice of West Alabama is operating in the new 28,000 square-foot facility on 3.17 acres of TVAMC grounds. This is the first inpatient hospice facility in West Alabama. It is a beautiful facility with 10 private patient rooms, porches and outdoor living spaces, living areas, a family-style kitchen, a chapel and administrative offices. This project is a good community partnership that benefits our veterans by providing preference in five of the hospice beds. The facility has an agreement with Hospice of West Alabama to lease them one of our quarter’s (Building No. 8) for use as a family lodging facility.
Scope of Services In Geriatrics & Extended Care, the following services are provided:
- Nursing Home Care Units, including Dementia, Psycho-Geriatric, Skilled Care programs and Hospice-Palliative
- Home Based Primary Care (HBPC)
- Skilled Home Health Care
- Homemaker/Home Health Aide Program (H/HHA)
- In-home Hospice
- Contract Adult Day Health Care
- Care Coordination Services:
- Spinal Cord Injury (SCI)
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Visual Impairment Services Team (VIST)
- OEF/OIF Combat Veterans
- Hospice and Palliative Care Case Management
- Care Coordination/Home Telehealth (CCHT)
- Fee Case Management
- Transfer Case and VAB Management
- Nursing Home and Mental Health Admissions Coordination
- Oncology Case Management
Scope of Services in Mental Health, the following services are provided:
- Inpatient Mental Health Services
- Acute Psychiatry
- Acute Geriatric Psychiatry
- Sustained Treatment and Rehabilitation (STAR)
- Psycho-geriatric Brief Stay Units
- Psychosocial Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Programs
- Substance Abuse Psychosocial Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Programs (SAPRRTP)
- PTSD Residential Rehabilitation Programs (PRRP)
- Compensated Work Therapy Transitional Residential Program (CWT/TR)
- Domiciliary Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Program (DRRTP) for homeless veterans