Tyndall Air Force Base
Tyndall Air Force Base is located on the Gulf of Mexico in the Florida Panhandle, 12 miles east of Panama City. The Panama City area is best known for its sugar-white sand and emerald-green waters and is a popular tourist destination.
On Dec. 7, 1941, the first of 2,000 troops arrived at Tyndall Field. Although construction was incomplete, instructors and students began preparing for the first aerial gunnery class. The first class of 40 gunnery students began on Feb. 23, 1942. Over the years Tyndall experienced command changes and gained additional missions as other units were stationed on the base. In 1991 as the base entered its 50th year, Tyndall underwent reorganization and the 325th Fighter Wing became the installation host. Today, a tradition of training continues. The 325th FW is responsible for building an "Air Dominance Force." The wing conducts training for F-15 Eagle and F/A Raptor pilots, air battle managers (ABM), air traffic controllers, F-15 specific intelligence personnel, weapons controllers and crew chiefs (Mission Ready Airmen) specially trained on the F-15 and F/A-22.