Executive Medical Director Primary Care
Based in Lynchburg, VA
Under the direction of the Centra Medical Group (CMG) President, the Executive Medical Director is the lead clinician and oversees the direction of patient care for the Primary Care Service Line. This includes ambulatory care throughout CMG primary care service area of Southside, Bedford, Amherst, Gretna, Lynchburg, and Danville. Currently includes supervising 4 Medical Directors of the 6 Medical Centers listed above with regard to clinical and regional medical leadership, as well as indirectly influencing primary care providers in CMG. This role will lead the Primary Care Council and interact with the medical director of our Clinically Integrated Network and/or the President of the Piedmont Community Health Plan (the health plan sponsored by Centra Health System).
This position also has oversight for provider management through the medical director for Palliative Care, Inpatient Rehabilitation, Hospice, PACE, Pain Management, Occupational Health, and Skilled Nursing Facilities. This position provides leadership, vision, and direction to medical service lines as well as serves as a part time clinician to provide direct patient care services. The Executive Medical Director shares in the administrative functions that directly impact medical services and collaborates with the operations management team in overall strategic planning and finance.
Position is roughly 70% administrative, and 30% clinical. Providing clinical care in a primary or specialty area of primary care.
- Participates as a key member of Centra Medical Group’s (CMG) leadership team to develop and maintain a strategic plan for the controlled growth, expansion, and/or development of programs and sites; solves existing and anticipated organization problems; and formulates and/or revises policies that will enhance the achievement of CMG’s goals.
- Integrates clinical and non-clinical aspects of CMG’s operations and services with the Dyad partner. Helps develop new systems of primary care for value and outcome based primary care delivery.
- Supervises Medical Doctors and Advanced Practice Providers; sets the direction for areas of responsibility to align with overall CMG goals and practice goals; directs all providers in the practice of quality care according to standards and benchmarks set by the organization, licensing boards, and other governing bodies.
- Manages administrative responsibilities such as clinical budget/finance management, and personnel management for provider staff. Uses solutions-oriented approach and collaborates with HR and other stakeholders to solve personnel issues, including performance failures and violation of standards of care or policy. Performs due diligence in matters related to clinical practice in full compliance of the medical licensing board and other regulatory agencies.
- Establishes and maintains systems of accountability for all providers in the Primary Care Service Line and other services noted above including Palliative Care, Inpatient Rehabilitation, Hospice, Pain Management, PACE, Occupational Health, and Skilled Nursing Services to include productivity benchmarks, performance measures and controls for clinical quality assurance, patient satisfaction, and provider engagement. Documents protocols. Performs hands-on training of new and developing providers and practices based on changes in regulatory or best practices.
- Partners with CMG Leadership and Provider Services to recruit qualified providers, including interviewing and recommendation for hire. Monitors and assists with the new-hire orientation process to ensure consistency in training among clinical providers.
- Ensures medical services and operations are in compliance with all applicable regulatory and licensing agencies. Assesses all matters of clinical compliance and provides recommendations for and implements corrective action and quality improvement.
- Establishes and maintains working and collaborative relationships in the health provider community on behalf of and in accordance with formal understandings of CMG. Develops relationships with hospitals and providers for referrals and for provision of patient care, seeks out available medical resources, and secures medical access for patients.
- Represents CMG to consultative and advisory bodies, to collaborating entities/agencies, and at specific institutions, as required.
- Works closely with the CMG President to provide direction regarding all clinical issues related to value based and population heath primary care. These include but are not limited to innovation related to collaborating with specialists and integrating primary care with behavioral health and other specialties. Integrate urgent care and the family medicine residency into a unified primary care model.
- Acts as a physician to provide patient services in clinical area of expertise.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completion of medical degree and residency training in a primary care or related specialty from an American Medical Association (AMA) approved program or other schools with credentials approved by the Medical Staff and Board of Centra.
- MD/DO with certification by an American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) board in physician's primary specialty.
- At least two years of experience in a progressively responsible administrator or leadership-related position within healthcare.
- Two to three years’ experience with governance and management in an established medical group.
- Two to three years’ experience with an integrated electronic medical record and its benefits for primary care.
- Two to three years’ experience with a patient centered medical home or similar care delivery model.
- Advanced degree as a Master of Medical Management, Business Administration, or other similar degree preferred.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Compensation range: $350k – $425k
- Sign on bonus: $25k amortized over 3 years
- Relocation Allowance: $10k
- Educational Loan Assistance: Up to $100k over 5 years
- Retirement Saving Plan (Company contribution up to 4% of salary)
- Matching 403(b) (100% match up to 3%)
- 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Long-term & short-term disability insurance
- Life insurance (1x salary, buy-up option up to 4x salary)
- Long-term care insurance available for purchase
- Flexible spending accounts (health care & dependent care)
- Malpractice Insurance: coverage through Centra's program
- $7,500 Yearly CME Allowance
About Lynchburg, VA:
Lynchburg, Virginia is a friendly and vibrant city in central Virginia, boasting excellent schools and a bevy of entertainment and cultural options. Blessed with 4 distinct seasons, Lynchburg offers seasonal activities ranging from snow skiing to water skiing, from gardening to hiking. With a long and proud history, Lynchburg is a place that offers its own distinct culture, melded seamlessly with the modern world. it is a lovely place to work and raise a family.