Ballad CVA Heart Institute is a nationally-recognized organization that delivers comprehensive cardiovascular care for our region. We service all the major facilities in Ballad Health System and have multiple regional offices throughout Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.
Our organization has a robust Cardiothoracic surgery program as part of a greater organization providing comprehensive cardiac care. We are recruiting for a physician’s assistant at our Holston Valley Medical Center campus program. Our team of 3, soon to be 4 surgeons, performs a full spectrum of cardiac, thoracic, and major vascular surgery as well as closely collaborating with our cardiology colleagues for structural heart care.
- Triage, assessment, and coordination of care for cardiothoracic surgical patients
- Assisting the surgeons in areas of clinical practice under direct/indirect supervision as appropriate for his/her training and experience.
- Surgical wound closure
- First assist on cardiac and thoracic surgical cases
- Harvesting saphenous vein and radial artery conduits
- Removal of chest tubes, Swan-Ganz catheters, pacemaker wires, drains, sutures/staples, and intra-aortic balloon pumps
- Assist and perform thoracentesis, chest tube placement, and chest tube management
- Provide wound care
- Participate in cost containment and quality improvement activities and gathering of data;
- Participate in call rotation with 1:3 call responsibility
- Working with surgical team for
- preoperative evaluation, consultation and preparation for surgery.
- In hospital postoperative care,
- Outpatient post discharge care.
- Participate in divisional research activities
- Act as a liaison between surgeons and patients/families
The successful candidate will hold a Master’s Degree in a certified PA program along with NCCPA board certification.
Prefer minimum of 2 year of experience with 1 year of surgery, preferably cardiac and/or thoracic surgery. Requires active state license, valid DEA, and current BLS training.
About Holston Valley Medical Center:
Partnering with and serving Kingsport, Tennessee, and its surrounding region for more than 80 years, Holston Valley Medical Center features the latest healthcare designs and innovations, including new intensive care units and operating suites, as well as expanded emergency and radiology departments. The Christine LaGuardia Phillips Cancer Center provides a full range of oncology diagnostic and treatment options, including a Trilogy linear accelerator, and Holston Valley’s internationally recognized cardiovascular service was the first in Tennessee to offer transcatheter aortic valve replacement surgery. The hospital also features an accredited breast center, orthopedics and joint replacement, bariatric surgery, an Advanced Primary Stroke Center, physical rehabilitation and hyperbaric medicine.