In collaboration with CommUnityCare’s senior leadership team, the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) is directly responsible for implementation of clinical programs, policies and strategies which are committed to CommUnityCare’s mission and vision. Demonstrates enthusiastic support of value-based, effective, efficient and team-based care across the entire delivery system continuum. Directly pversees and provides leadership to the clinicians and clinician leadership/management structure which includes clinician management, as well as the following areas: quality improvement, disease management, care management, risk management, privileging and credentialing, peer review, utilization review, clinical outcomes, preventive health, research and education, clinical integration, new market development, and clinical model advancement.
The CMO reports directly to the President and CEO of CommUnityCare. Additionally, the CMO serves as a member of and works collaboratively with CommUnityCare’s Senior Leadership Team (SLT), which includes the President and Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operating Officer, Chief Financial Officer, VP of Human Resources Officer, and the Chief Risk Officer.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
• Work with the CEO and the SLT to implement the strategic direction of the organization related to medical and health service programs.
• Chairs the Quality Improvement Committee and Clinical Leadership Council
• Fosters a culture of best demonstrated practices, measurement, performance, continuous improvement, accountability, customer and teammate service-orientation, as well as exemplary teamwork.
• Participates in the mentoring and development of clinician managers/leaders.
• Assists in the development, implementation and modification of market-competitive compensation programs and incentives aimed at aligning the interest of clinicians, with the goals of the organization.
• Oversees the development of an ongoing professional development, education, and learning program for employed physicians and clinicians.
• Oversees an effective process for clinician performance evaluation, reward and recognition, coaching, peer review, constructive feedback and discipline.
• Oversees all clinical programs, e. g. disease management, high risk programs, care management, pharmacy, dental programs, behavioral health, wellness and prevention and other programs as designed to maximize the achievement of CommUnityCare’s vision of achieving greater health equity for the populations we serve.
• Oversees the development of clinical guidelines such that quality of care is standardized across all health centers and variation is minimized.
• Oversees development and implementation of guidelines, protocols and care pathways pertaining to the care our CommUnityCare’s patients
• Oversees the development and implementation of medical quality standards and targets, as well as the achievement of such targets.
• Collaborates with COO and her/his team to ensure that all sites embrace CommUnityCare’s Service Excellence Program and that all sites achieve high quality patient outcomes in a cost effective manner that is culturally sensitive to the populations we serve.
• In partnership with SLT manage the population and risk management plans, priorities, and programs across the organization.
• Oversees, recommends and implements credentialing and privileging criteria for clinicians and advanced practitioners.
• Assures compliance with all local, state and federal laws, as well as accrediting and licensing agencies.
• Works with the Chief Risk Officer to advance CommUnityCare’s clinical risk management and compliance programs.
• Represent CommUnityCare both internally and externally as the senior clinician executive and participate in establishing strong and lasting relationships with employed and affiliated clinicians, teammates, health plans, hospital systems, universities as well as local, state and national government entities and community organizations.
• Assist in developing and implementing clinician communication strategies that inform, promote information exchange, and understanding of key initiatives and programs.
• Promotes quality standards through audits, peer review, quality management, and learning initiatives.
• Promotes information sharing, benchmarking, clinical innovation, and best demonstrated practice identification.
• Oversees and provides leadership to CommUnityCare’s Medical Education and Research Department including the development of residency programs and talent pipelines.
• Provide direct care services in the clinics and perform other duties as assigned.
• Empower every employee to consistently work to improve overall quality and availability of provider services throughout CommUnityCare Health Center network.
• Strive to ensure that the mission and goals of the organization are realized through the professional and effective delivery of integrated health care solutions.
• Develop systems that ensure all medical staff members are properly contracted, qualified, directed, and motivated to provide patients high quality services and care.
• Inspire the provider staff to be sure that all tasks associated with patient care, patient administrative processes and related duties comply or exceed regulatory and accreditation standards including The Joint Commission and CommUnityCare Standard Operating Procedures and CommUnityCare Policies and Procedures.
• Maintain effective working relationships with local and state regulatory agencies, local health delivery systems, civic and consumer groups concerned with the delivery, quality and accessibility of services and care.
• Manage and ensure favorable relationship within the organization’s leadership team as well as favorable internal relationships with co-workers at all levels and in all departments.
• Upholds and ensures compliance and attention to all company policies and procedures as well as the overall mission and values of the organization.
• Maintain clinical practice to effectively understand the delivery of patient care within CommUnityCare (20%).
• Maintain appropriate credentials/licensure.
• Effectively mentor students, residents and faculty in professional and personal growth.
• Advocate for scholarship and clinical investigation throughout the organization.
• Exemplary leadership skills with evidence of transforming organizations.
• Ability to provide leadership in the establishment and implementation of health care delivery mechanisms, strategies, tactics, standards and goals.
• Strong understanding of building and/or participating in public/private partnerships, with demonstrated ability to negotiate through a myriad of complex requirements.
• Strong business acumen in the context of health care delivery.
• Ability to analyze, synthesize and communicate complex data, clinical information, business needs and related issues in an accurate, objective and straightforward manner.
• High degree of knowledge and competency in the practice of medicine and ability to perform certain medical tasks.
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
• Experience and track record with behavioral health, health services, or health care delivery sciences and scholarship.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to inspire staff and act as a change agent for the organization.
• Ability to instill confidence, trust and respect with the team.
People Management/Department Management/Business Unit Management:
• Directs Department operations and execution of initiatives, goals and programs.
• Manage implementation of new department initiatives and ensure coordination of strategy and initiatives.
• Adheres to all local, state, and federal regulations.
• Participates as member of Senior Leadership team.
• Provides oversight and direction to the company’s departmental efforts.
• Develops and oversees departmental strategy in support of CommUnityCare’s strategic plan.
• Selects personnel for hire and promotion; takes appropriate actions regarding counseling, disciplinary actions, demotion and termination.
• Directs, supports and coaches direct reports.
• Responds proactively to employee needs and concerns.
• Develops “experts” and “expertise” throughout the department and seeks employee input.
• Facilitates consensus among divergent groups.
• Minimizes staff turnover.
• Acknowledges and rewards employees’ strengths and accomplishments.
• Evaluates assigned staff performance and competency, providing direct feedback.
• Assesses learning needs, develops competency plans and provides opportunities for learning.
MINIMUM EDUCATION: M.D. or D.O. from an accredited educational institution.
PREFERRED EDUCATION: Additional advanced degree in business, public health, healthcare administration or related field of study
• Minimum of 5 years of progressive medical group management leadership inclusive
• Evidence for scholarly productivity as well as respected clinical expertise in a relevant primary care.
• Demonstrated experience with implementation science, operationalization of care protocols, protocols, and spreading of best practices.
• Experience/knowledge of The Joint Commission accreditation process and requirements, as well as regulations and standards associated with the delivery of care in a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC).
• Demonstrated understanding and/or experience in working in a patient-centered medical home (PCMH) environment and team-based care environment.
• Minimum of 5 years of progressive medical group management leadership inclusive preferably in a Federally Qualified Health Center environment.
• Bilingual English / Spanish preferred
• Eligibility for an unrestricted licensed to practice medicine in the State of Texas.
• Board Certification in area of specialty.
• Current Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and Department of Public Safety (DPS) registrations for the purpose of writing prescriptions.