POSITION OVERVIEW: Sleep Medicine - Physician will focus on initial evaluation of patients using sleep-focused history and physical exams, review of polysomnography and other sleep tests, explanation of testing results to patients, and development of care plans. The physician will also provide patient education and communicate with other providers to facilitate ongoing care and provide follow-up care for established patients, including monitoring of positive airway pressure therapy and other treatment modalities. This is an outpatient position with clinic call.
DEPARTMENT SUMMARY: Sleep medicine provides care for patients with sleep disorder breathing, movement disorders, insomnia and hypersomnia and other sleep disorders. The department includes two accredited sleep centers, located in Bend and Redmond, with a total of 12 diagnostic beds and a robust portable sleep testing program. Physicians and Advance Practice Providers rotate between both locations. All providers maintain their own patient panel to grow patient/provider relationships.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
- Establish goals and priorities in accordance with patient and staff needs and organizational objectives. Ensure adherence to St Charles Health System and sleep departmental policies and procedures. Assignment may include pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric age groups.
- Assess, diagnose and develop treatment plans; implement treatment, follow-up and evaluate patient within the scope of practice protocols as outlined by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
- Perform patient history and physical exams as needed for procedures or admissions; document findings noting pertinent normal and abnormal findings.
- Evaluate and revise intervention care/treatment plan with patient and family as necessary to achieve improved health.
- Provide accurate documentation of, document orders, directives, procedures and patient responses in the medical record and communicate them to other members of the health care team.
- Maintain accurate, legible and confidential records in a timely manner.
- Provide education for patients and/or families about preventative care, medical issues and use of the prescribed medical treatment and/or equipment.
- Call participation is expected in rotation with current providers. Call will involve providing patient guidance to sleep technologists in the Sleep Lab.
- Interpret and report on diagnostic tests in a timely manner after the diagnostic procedure is completed for both inpatient and outpatient procedures. Not to exceed 72 hours for Urgent and 7 days for Routine procedures.
- May perform additional duties of similar complexity within the organization, as required or assigned.
- Acts as a leader and supports departmental goals and the vision, mission and values of the St. Charles Health System in all respects.
- Provides customer service in a manner that promotes goodwill, is timely, efficient and accurate.
- Creates a healing environment that supports all aspects of care, respects the wholeness of the individual, and demonstrates therapeutic presence through attitudes and behaviors that enhance the safety and care experience for patients, caregivers and guests.
- Supports Value Improvement Practice (VIP- Lean) principles of continuous improvement with energy and enthusiasm, functioning as a champion of change; Contribute as necessary to assist in policy formation for the organization.
- Participates in creating intentional relationships, and put a high level of focus on attitudes and behaviors that enhance the care experience.
- Is familiar with the organization structure, communications systems and billing process, completing billing and coding documentation within time assigned.
- Conducts all activities with the highest standards of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Complies with all applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures, supporting the health system’s corporate integrity efforts by acting in an ethical and appropriate manner, reporting known or suspected violations of applicable rules, and cooperating fully with all health system’s investigations and proceedings.
- Keep all licenses and appropriate certifications current and unrestricted to maintain privileges at a St. Charles Health System hospital sufficient to permit performance of job duties.
- Increases understanding and collaboration throughout the medical community.
- Maintain compliance of hospital’s Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules and Regulations, as required by SCHS Board of Directors.
- Graduation from an accredited medical school.
- Successful completion of an accredited residency program in Physician’s chosen specialty (ies).
- Successful completion of additional educational programs necessary to enable Physician to acquire and maintain privileges to perform the range of services contemplated. This includes board eligibility/certification in the specialty being practiced.
- Complete annual fire/safety, etc. education in-services as required.
- Attend mandatory educational offerings as described in SCHS policies/procedures and/or as required by other regulatory bodies.
- Complete annual CME as required to maintain license and appropriate Board certification.
- Complete in a timely manner assigned Computer Based Learning modules.
- Current license as MD / DO.
- Board certified or eligible in Physician’s chosen specialty. Those applicants who are not board certified at the time of application but who have completed their residency or fellowship training are required to become board certified within seven years of residency or fellowship training.
- Unrestricted Federal DEA number.
- Unrestricted ability to participate in Medicare / Medicaid, or other federal or state governmental health care programs.
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to meet SCHS driving requirements.
- Current BLS certification required.
- If provider will practice sedation, moderate or deep, ACLS certification is also required.
- Additional certifications may be required based on privileges granted to provider by Medical Staff Services at SCHS Inpatient locations
- Oregon license as MD / DO.
- Federal DEA number registered in Oregon.
- Successful completion of a certified Sleep Medicine Fellowship program.
- Experience using EMR (Electronic Medical Records) software. Proficiency in Epic welcomed.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills to effectively interact with a diverse population and professionally represent St. Charles Health System.
- Experience working in a team environment and proven ability to collaborate, manage facilitation and consensus building among health care professionals and agencies to achieve expected results.
- 2+ years’ experience in outpatient practice environments providing care in Sleep Medicine.
- Epic EMR software experience.